Happy 4th of July















After little brothers join the military,
The most precious children from my childhood
Protect the most precious children of my present.

Strangers no longer defend my country.
Those who wear the uniform
Evoke big sister pride.

I scurry to stand when I hear the Star Spangle Banner.
I stop reciting and start pledging allegiance to the flag.
Patriotism grows within in me.

The price of freedom can no longer be measured.
The value of the collateral soars
Because now my brothers watch over me.

(It's sappy. I won't quit my day job, but the photos great. Maybe Rod could moonlight as a photographer.)

Comments

Dorothy said…
Cute pic! I dont' think Trevor will wear his Marine uniform again because he'd have to wear it and be enlisted. Since he's an officer he wants to sport his officer stuff. Maybe on my bday I'll have him put his Marine uniform on and prance around...
I didn't think there were any genes in our family that allowed poetry other than limericks that use Nantucket. I'm impressed. And no it's not sappy.
Dorothy said…
That brought a tear to my eye! I hadn't read it until just now.